A mountain retreat in a historic location
Balibó Fort Hotel – A Timor Heritage Hotel
Constructed in the 18th century by the Portuguese, the historic Balibo Fort later became the site where five Australian journalists filmed the Indonesian navy pre-invasion in 1975.
The renovation of the Fort was supported by the Balibo House Trust and endorsed by the Timor-Leste government. Local materials and skills have been specified wherever possible with stonework and timber cladding used to deliver local identifiable features to the building whilst maintaining distinctive separation from the Portuguese heritage elements.
Renovation works started in September 2013; they involved the conversion of the existing dilapidated Fort House into a hotel and local museum as well as the training of local people to staff the hotel. The Balibo Fort Hotel was open on 19th March 2015 inaugurated by Xanana Gusmao, Minister of Planning and Development, Timor-Leste and the Australian Ambassador to Timor Leste.
Balibo & Surrounding Area
Make the most of your time in Balibo:
- Relax on the veranda to enjoy a spectacular sunset and the cool mountain breeze;
- Learn about the history of Balibo and the region at the new Cultural & Heritage Centre;
- Visit the ‘Australia House’ with an audio-visual presentation and memorial to the Balibo Five journalists;
- Walk the historic town of Balibo; enjoy coffee with the locals and visit the Balibo market.
The western region of Timor-Leste boasts a number of important sites that guests can combine with their time at the Balibo Fort Hotel, including:
- The ancient Portuguese Hot Springs at Morobo;
- Maliana town and its local markets;
- Hiking trails and caves only a short drive away.
Visitors to Balibo will enjoy the scenic three-hour costal drive from Dili:
- Enjoy lunch by the water at the beautiful Caimeo Beach resort in Liquica
- Visit the Dutch Fort at Maubara and shop for handicrafts on the beach
- Visit the Portuguese Fort and Indonesian border at Batugarde
For the truly adventurous, experience the stunning in-land drive back to Dili.
- An onsite fully licensed restaurant
- A Cultural & Heritage Centre
- 24-hour security
- Western amenities, including hot water showers
- Wireless internet access
- Television with English speaking channels
- Outdoor private terrace
- Spectacular views across the Balibo Fort walls
Room rates from $95 USD Twin Share
Extra roll-out bed $25 USD
Baby cot $15 USD
All rates include breakfast.